“Great buildings start with a great conversation – with the client, with users, with the community. Together, we can uncover what really matters and define our ambitions for the project.”
Mark plays a pivotal role at Hassell, overseeing our design quality worldwide and setting our direction as a global practice.
An internationally recognised architect with a focus on public, civic and higher education buildings, he has contributed to city-shaping projects throughout Australia, the US, Europe and Asia.
His diverse portfolio includes learning facilities across a wide range of university campuses, major infrastructure projects such as Melbourne Metro and cultural institutions such as the Western Australian Museum Boola Bardip and Geelong Arts Centre.
Recent design competitions include the Theatre Redevelopment in Canberra, Australia, on Ngunnawal Country and Ngurra — the National Indigenous Knowledge and Cultural Centre and home to the National Resting Place also in Canberra. He played a lead role in San Francisco’s M.H. de Young Memorial Museum, among other North American projects, while at the international practice Herzog & de Meuron.
Mark is passionate about how design can positively improve people’s lives in various cultural, social, health and experiential-related ways through humanitarian, environmental and social projects.
A thoughtful, precise designer, Mark is a great mentor to our emerging architects, tapping into their ambitions and inspiring them to create beautiful places time after time. Ultimately, he sees his role as helping clients embrace new perspectives — finding unanticipated but obvious solutions that unlock the real potential of each project.
- Theatre Redevelopment Project design competition, Canberra, Australia
- National Indigenous Knowledge and Cultural Centre, and the National Resting Place, design competition, Canberra, Australia
- One Heart Village, Women’s refuge and education master plan, Tanzania
- Monash University Victorian Health Innovation Centre Australian & Precision Radiopharmaceutical Facility, Melbourne, Australia
- Royal Melbourne Hospital master plan, Melbourne, Australia
- WA Museum Boola Bardip, Perth, Australia
- Southern Cross Station master plan, Melbourne, Australia
- Geelong Arts Centre, Geelong, Australia
- The University of Melbourne Life Sciences Building, Melbourne, Australia
- Melbourne Metro bid phase, Melbourne, Australia
- Maningrida Arts & Culture Precinct, Maningrida, Australia (Hassell + Architects Without Frontiers)
- Advanced Engineering Building, The University of Queensland, Brisbane, Australia
- Flinders Street Station International Design Competition, Melbourne, Australia