The third restaurant for the Di Stasio team — a name synonymous in Melbourne with fine dining, Italian style. We wanted to imbue the interiors with owners Rinaldo Di Stasio’s and Mallory Wall’s renown as two of the city’s leading art patrons. We also wanted to create a truly distinct and unconventional dining experience.
Di Stasio Carlton’s dramatic yet seamless blend of exaggerated proportions, contemporary Australian artworks and Italian architectural features — including an original 1950s terrazzo floor and, in the courtyard, a 17th-century Roman fountain — combine to create a truly unique dining experience.
“Di Stasio Carlton is the essence of Melbourne food culture, and the soul of Carlton.”
— 2022 Eat Drink Design Awards Jury
Inside, a theatrical adventure unfolds in a series of three contrasting rooms inter-connected by portals lined in pressed metal that end at the threshold to an outdoor oasis. Inspired by Di Stasio’s childhood memories of Italian gardens in 1960s Melbourne, the courtyard is a treasure of surprise and delight, dotted with swan planters, antique urns and the ancient Roman fountain, which takes centre stage.
DI STASIO CITTA
- 2020 Australian Interior Design Awards (AIDA) - Premier Award (highest honour)
- 2020 AIDA - Hospitality Design Award (joint winner)
- 2020 AIDA - Best of State Prize for Commercial Design
- 2020 Gourmet Traveller Restaurant Awards - New Restaurant of the Year + Best Design
- 2019 Eat Drink Design Awards - Best Restaurant Design