- Wave Lagoon – ‘the precinct’s coolest attraction’ turning out 20-mins of waves every half hour
- Recreation Lagoon – a man-made, sea-water lagoon with sandy beach and patrolled paddling pools
- Tropical parklands with natural amphitheatre – the perfect platforms for festivals and events
- Boardwalk and sea wall – extending pedestrian access out over the water
- Smith Street Sky Bridge – connecting the head of the escarpment to the waterfront’s main plaza
- Smith Street East Walkway – a sheltered heritage trail, connecting the headland to the city’s mall
- Public artworks – by artist with a connection to the region feature throughout the public domain
- Darwin Convention Centre – a multi-award-winning collaboration with Crawford Architects
- The Vibe and Medina hotels and Wharf One Residential buildings
We master planned the entire 25-hectare Darwin Waterfront development as a series of staged precincts. We also designed Stage 2, the Public Domain parklands and public spaces, as well as commercial, residential and public buildings – including the Darwin Convention Centre.
The plan’s diverse, yet complementary, mix of uses has helped create a vital public precinct that’s been a social and economic success for Darwin, and also improved the natural environment. It continues to grow and evolve every year – making Darwin a more desirable place to live and visit.
We used a series of sustainability initiatives and technologies suited to the tropical climate to transform the post-industrial site. By retaining the escarpment and re-establishing natural vegetation throughout the precinct, ecological health has been restored and the site’s microclimate moderated. Durable, locally-sourced and recycled materials make up the hardscaping, and opportunities for water conservation, passive ventilation and temperature control devices have been implemented throughout.
- 2012 International Property Awards Asia Pacific – Best Landscape Architecture Asia Pacific
- 2012 Asia Pacific Property Awards – Five Star Award – Best Landscape Architecture Australia
- 2012 Asia Pacific Property Awards – Highly Commended – Leisure Development Australia
- 2010 Australian Institute of Landscape Architects National Awards – Landscape Architecture Award for Planning
- 2009 Australian Institute of Architects (Northern Territory) Awards – Award for Urban Design
- 2008 Urban Taskforce Awards – Development Excellence Award for Mixed Use Development